The brewing process - a working brewery in South Tyrol
The Martinerhof experience-brewery in the Val Passiria
It’s well worth seeing the brewing process in the Hotel Martinerhof. What’s really impressive is that you can see the work that the brewer, Martin, does on a brewery tour with beer tasting. To get an idea of how Martinsbräu is made, the most important steps are described here.
- Malt mill: the grain is coarsely ground in the mill.
- Mashing tub: The ground malt is mixed together with water in a mashing tub and heated up at different temperatures.
- Straining vat: the liquid wort is separated from the solid ingredients (=brewers grain) in the straining vat. The used grains are given to the local farmers to feed to the cattle.
- Seasoned pan: The herbs are cooked in the seasoned pan and the hops are then added.The amount added dictates how bitter the beer will taste.
- Refining process: Afterwards the herbs are cooled and then mixed with yeast and air and the refining process takes place. In this process, the sugar is transformed into alcohol and carbonic acid.
- After about 7 days refining the young beer is put into the storage cellar: Without any artificial acceleration the beer can stay quietly in the storage cellar in the tank to ferment. In three to four weeks the young beer has then matured.
- Enjoy the beer: The Martinsbräu then decants the beer into bottles after the refining and maturing procedures – naturally unfiltered to enable all the healthy nutrients to remain in the beer. At the Brauhotel Martinershof no additives are added to increase the storage life of the beer. You can drink a pure, healthy and natural product straight from the barrel into the glass with no additives or carbon dioxides.
Delicious creations emerge from the brewing process in the Martinerhof. The beers contain carbohydrates, mineral nutrients and micro nutrients. In addition, Martinsbräu is rich in vitamin B, dietary fibres and hop bitterns which have a calming effect.
Spend a holiday in a hotel with its own brewery. In doing so, you will be spoiled with delicious varieties of beer of the highest quality.